When I woke up this morning, I was not much of a Star Wars fan because I had not seen the movies. I had seen parts of the newer ones, but I didn’t remember them or know what was going on. So today was quite the Star Wars Day.
It all began with visiting Good Morning America. There were a lot of people in costume and exciting buzz about the new movie. It was fun to go and feel the excitement people have for these films, even if I didn’t understand it at the time.
It was a really pretty morning in Times Square. And before people started showing up to work, it was deserted and really nice. New York City in the morning is lovely. I should get out to see it more often.
When I got back to my apartment, it was time for a movie marathon. It was difficult for me to get copies of these movies. There is nowhere to rent them to stream and my library didn’t have copies. They recently became available to purchase on Google Play or Amazon Prime, but why would I spent almost $100 on movies that I haven’t even seen? I finally found a friend that had all the DVD’s and she was generous enough to let me borrow them for this special day. Really, Jen is the hero of the day.
I was doing a bit of research on what order I should watch the films in. All of my friends seemed very adamant that I watch them in order of release, but I think that’s more because of their ideals than because it was the best way. I don’t have the same issues with the newer movies that other people have.
So I found this post, and without reading in it’s entirety due to spoilers, I decided how I wanted to do this. The Machete Order is to watch IV, V, II, III, VI. I am stubborn though. I wanted to watch all of them. So I’ve decided to do IV, V, I, II, III, VI.
I had other obligations today (being an adult), so I didn’t watch 6 Star Wars movies. I did pretty good though. I watched through Episode II.
I do understand the problems people have with the newer movies. The acting is pretty bad and Jar Jar Binks makes me want to throw my TV out the window. I like the special effects though. There is a lot more light saber action and the story is still a good one, even if the execution doesn’t live up to it.
I’ve had a great time today watching these movies (see my tweets here). I haven’t finished them all yet, and the story isn’t even finished, but I end today as a fan. Here are some general thoughts I’ve had today, or things I was surprised about.
- I always thought the Jedi were the heroes. They are, but it surprised me that as the movies began, the Force and the Jedi seemed to be outdated and washed up.
- That moment when Darth Vader says half of a sentence to the storm troopers then walks away? That was weird and awkward.
- It seemed odd to me that Vader could use the force across Facetime, but I guess he really is that strong.
- I was impressed with the strength that the women showed. These movies are old and one wouldn’t be surprised if the women were just screaming and running hoping to be saved, but both Leia and Amidala were leaders who fought back. Granted, there are only 2 women in these movies, but at least they are awesome.
- Han Solo is a jerk. Why do women always fall for the jerk?
- The whole “I am your Father” moment was so different than I’d always imagined. Also, I thought it was “Luke. I am your father.” It isn’t.
- Anakin Skywalker is stalker creepy in Episode II. It is SHOCKING that she falls for him.
- Anakin trains to be a Jedi for 10+ years, but Luke can be a match for Darth Vader after just a few days?
- Jar Jar Binks is the worst thing that’s ever happened to me.
This day was awesome. I’m not kidding when I say that purchasing these movies is now on my To Do List. No wonder people are obsessed with them. How sad that it took me so long.
I blame my dad for this whole thing. We watched Star Trek a lot, but never Star Wars. When I confronted him about it he said, “I only saw them in the theater.” My dad saw those movies in the theater and never saw them again. That is nuts. Especially if you know my dad.
(I’m just kidding Dad. I don’t blame you.)
I’m excited for the new movie coming out too!
- National Cartoonists Day
- National Totally Chipotle Day
- National Hoagie Day
- Cinco de Mayo
- National Teacher Appreciation Day – Tuesday of the first full week in May